Thursday, July 22, 2010

12 days of seperation

To quote my own facebook page, "Grandpa was reunited with Grandma this afternoon. She only needed to wait 12 days to see him. I bet she looked gorgeous! Now Grandpa can say "come on Lois" as they continue their life in Heaven.". (July 19, 2010, He was 94)
My cousin, Heather took this handsome picture at Grandma's funeral on July 10, 2010.  The flowers on Grandma's casket said "Love of my Life"
Dad talking to Grandpa about Grandma's beautiful casket.
69 years together is a long time.  To quote Heather, "Grandpa Bartholomew must be a true gentleman because he let Grandma go first. Now they are together again just 12 days apart.".

My memories of grandpa include fishing trips when I was just tiny, him proudly showing off his garden and his green house and being at grandma's beck and call - always pleasing.  Grandpa had a green thumb.  His corn was amazing! He knew the perfect time to pick and the right way to cut and bag it for the freezer.  He always had tomato plants growing in his greenhouse along with geraniums.  I was delivered one of his special flowers when I was in the hospital as a child.  I remember the precious pink flowers to this day and whenever I see a geranium I think of Grandpa. 
Grandpa always had a smile on his face and a twinkle in his eye.  He liked to joke too.  Whenever we would visit we would take pictures.  Grandpa thought it silly.  He said pictures just end up in boxes! 
On a recent visit in April.  I had to laugh at Grandpa chasing Peyton, not quite walking, all around the house. 
On an earlier visit in October of 2009, I trimmed grandpa's eyebrows.  This was a new experience for me but I really felt love for my Grandpa at that moment.  I thought of all the service he had done for his posterity and with this simple act I was able to serve him. 

The kids and I got to have a final hug at Grandma's Funeral.


He will forever be missed!  I will miss seeing him in his casual overalls that I dearly loved seeing him in.  I will miss that twinkle in his crystal blue eyes and the way he smiled when he would answer the door so happy to have us there to visit. 
The peace comes in knowing Grandpa is with his sweetheart and they are continuing their life together in Heaven.  I am grateful for Eternal Families!!

3 comments:

Jeannie said...

I think that is the way that every couple should go. So sorry.... I'm thinking of you and your family.

Jamie Page said...

Sorry for your loss. I am happy that they only had to be apart for a short time.

Josh & Jessica said...

this makes me cry.