Monday, October 4, 2010

Reconstructing Ryan's Wrist

OK, for all you men out there, stop trying to be the hero.  Know your limits and your body and remember, you aren't getting any younger...you have nothing to prove!  Arm wrestling the Occupational Therapist over 2 years ago, Ryan has learned this lesson and had to have his entire wrist reconstructed because he "wouldn't give up!" 
Thinking it would heal over time he had babied it over the years.  Finally he saw a specialist and after an expensive MRI and multiple x-rays, they concluded that his ligament was torn and the wrist bones were beginning to separate.  If nothing was done soon, he would run the risk of having to have his wrist fused which would give him no range of motion.  Of course it was his right hand and he kinda needs it so surgery was scheduled. 

Here are the pre-op pics...




Ryan was a little nervous waiting so he passed the time and got rid of his jitters by "posing".


He loved the socks they gave him to wear.  He called them his New Christmas Socks... OK Ryan, whatever!



 The whole surgery took 2 hours. When they got in there they found that his entire ligament had dissolved. Dr. Miller took a tendon from his same arm, drilled holes in the wrist bones and threaded the tendon through to pull them back together.

When Ryan came out of surgery he found they had done a little extra... his toenails were painted red along with his surgery hand fingernails! That is what you get for having surgery done where you work, I guess.







He had a few days off work and was extremely bored.  He tried to play house with Peyton but didn't like how she was playing (he would get the house all organized and she would wreck it just as fast) so he finally said, "I can't play with you any more."






With the 2 dogs I am watching for a friend (for possibly a year) and now with Ryan's handicap state (he can't move or lift anything heavier than a pen with his newly constructed wrist for 2 months), I feel like I am the  single mother of 6 children!  Ahhhh....  Pray for us, we need all the help we can get!  Oh, and if you can handle a trimmer - that is the one thing I cannot control,  I would love to have your help in that area.  Until then, I will just keep plugging along.

No comments: