Getting errands done with kids is always a daunting task. Someone is fighting or crying or in my case doesn't want to go into the store and begs to wait in the car. Stockton is always so tired when I am doing my errands after the gym that I have to persuade him to come into the store with me by telling him a police officer will take him away from me if he is in the car alone.
Yesterday I was headed to my last stop to pick up treats for cubs when my mom called. The phone conversation lasted long enough for me to get to my destination, and park and sit for 5+ minutes talking. By this time Pey and Stock had fallen asleep. I decided to just run in to the small Wonder bread store and leave the kids asleep in the truck - I was parked right in front of the door to the store so what bad could happen? Thinking about my kids safety, I locked the door and ran inside. I quickly grabbed the 4 boxes of Twinkies that I was after and was out in less than 2 minutes. When I got to the truck and checked my pockets, I realized in my distracted state, I had not only locked my kids safely inside but the keys were still in the ignition!
I thought, easy fix, pound on Stock's window and wake him up and he will unlock the door so we can be on our way to get Ethan from school. The kid was out! Nothing was waking him up but my racket did bring store employees outside to see what was going on. The High School across the street was releasing students at this time so I had many onlookers. I just smiled and kept pounding. Luckily Mom was in town and she came to my rescue - it was her fault I was distracted anyway, right? ha ha! Finally bouncing on the tailgate and rocking the truck back and forth woke the sleeping child. He woke in such a bewildered state that I could not coax him to unlock the door. I kept asking him to unlock the door pointing on the window above the lock and he would just shake his head NO. People where really beginning to stare and I felt like a child predator. Mom tried offering him the newly purchased Twinkies, he shook his head no. Then chocolate kisses, he shook his head no. Then a pack up gum was pressed up to the tinted windows and he eagerly unlocked the door! Ya for my little guy loving gum! We were on our way.
During the whole fiasco, Ryan had been called. He was halfway to save us when we got the door opened. Sadly though, he wasn't sure if he even had a spare key. This brought up our house keys... where are they? They are never used since we access the house via the garage door. If the power was out we wouldn't be able to get inside... So I think this week we will re-evaluate our keys!
Tuesday, March 2, 2010
I could live without the drama.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I did that once with Alex, and we only had ONE yes ONE key to our car. I freaked out a little...I'm glad James has some connections.
Nice. I'm surprised that it took him that long to let you in.
Sorry it was a crappy day.
Post a Comment